How Does Biotin Help in Hair Growth: Most hair growth commercial products in the market have biotin as the main element. With this, more and more people have also started believing that biotin promotes hair growth. Some even consider biotin as a miracle pill for hair nourishment. However, is biotin for hair growth actually effective? Let’s find out.
If you are looking for an answer and you want to know whether biotin for hair growth is beneficial or not, then this can help you make an informed decision.
What is Biotin?
Biotin, also called as vitamin B7, is a B-vitamin. It was formerly known as vitamin H, where H denotes Har und Haut, a German expression for hair and skin.
It is a water-soluble vitamin which indicates that it is not stored in our body. This vitamin helps in various functions of our body including metabolism of amino acids, glucose, and fatty acids. When we consume food that contains proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, biotin or vitamin B7 is necessary to convert these macronutrients into the source of energy. Our body then uses this energy for psychological functioning and during physical activities.
Biotin for hair growth
One of the major outcomes of biotin deficiency is hair thinning, and a biotin rich diet can enable the existing hair growth. Many hair shampoos in the market that are said to increase hair volume and quality are known to contain biotin for hair growth as the core ingredient. And biotin is often present in hair growth supplements and products that promote hair growth and nourish thin hair.
However, people who are experiencing hair fall or want to have thick hair should also look after other necessary requirements for healthy hair. This includes proper hair care, consuming all nutrients and keeping stress level low. All these combined can yield a better outcome.
How much biotin do you need daily?
A person needs up to 30 micrograms of biotin every day. For women who are breastfeeding, this amount can be a little higher, somewhere around 35 mcg.
According to Dr. Richard Scher, biotin hair growth dose can be 2.5 mg per day. However, he further suggests consulting your doctor for avoiding an overdose of biotin.
Biotin for hair growth – what the research says?
In a study carried out in 2015, 60 women, who were experiencing hair thinning, were given MPS(marine protein supplement), which has biotin. After the completion of 90 days, digital images were taken and matched with before images. These images show significant improvement in hair thinning, and overall results indicate that biotin can help in promoting hair growth in women with hair thinning.
In another similar study of 2012, 15 women received beneficial results when checked after 180 days of treatment. The digital images show significant hair growth when analyzed after 90 days and 180 days.
Foods rich in biotin
It is easy to consume daily dosage of biotin for hair growth via food. Here are some food ingredients you can directly consume for biotin intake.
- Whole grains
- Organ meats
- Almonds, walnuts, and peanuts
- Egg yolk
Excessively cooked food and, in general, heat decreases the efficiency of biotin. So, try consuming these foods in minimum cooked meals.
Other Benefits of Biotin
Biotin for hair growth is also used for many other health benefits and, in fact, it is essential for pregnant women. Mentioned below are some additional benefits of biotin.
- Biotin is given to pregnant women and usually included in pre-natal multivitamin because it enhances embryonic growth.
- Apart from biotin for hair growth, it is an effective supplement for nail growth and healthy skin.
It reduces inflammation in the body.
- Biotin is a critical vitamin for metabolic functions.
- Biotin, when paired with chromium, can help diabetic patients lower blood sugar levels.
- It defends against cognitive decline related to age.
- It assists in maintenance and growth of body tissues.
- Myths to avoid and points to remember about biotin.
- Biotin cannot alone promote hair growth and healthy skin; instead, it takes a fully nutritious diet including biotin for healthy hair.
- Biotin assists in hair growth because it improves keratin structure. Keratin is a protein, and proteins are formed by amino acids. These amino acids are a result of biotin and cell enzyme reaction.
- It is not necessary to take or consume biotin health supplements in the form of pills. You can easily intake biotin via food. Refer the above section for foods rich in biotin.
How Does Biotin Help in Hair Growth – Conclusion
The bottom line is if you want to enhance the quality of your hair or you are experiencing hair loss, then you can take biotin for promoting hair growth. However, we still suggest consuming it via natural food supplements, and if you still wish to take commercial biotin supplements, consult your doctor for proper dosage.
- Health Benefits of Pumpkins
- Balance Of Nature Reviews – Is It a Good Value? (2023)
- Nutrisystem Alternatives 6 Better Diets for 2023?
- Ikaria Lean Belly Juice Reviews: Is It Worth Trying?